Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Serbia: Medalja za hrabrost

Today I got a postcard from Serbia.

It shows the oil painting Medalja za hrabrost by Ferdinand Drabek. The Medalja za hrabrost, the Medal for Bravery, was awarded for the first time in 1913 by King Peter I of Serbia. It was granted for the acts of great personal courage or for personal courage demonstrated on the battlefield and was awarded during the Balkan Wars, World War I and World War II.


With related stamps:
Centenary of World War I (whole set) (issued 24-06-2014)
World War I began with the attack of the Austro-Hungarian Empire against Serbia, after the Serbian government was suspected to be involved in the Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. First there were victories of the Serbian army, but in 1915 Serbia was occupied and the Serbian government had to retreat to Albania and later to Greece. In 1916 Serbia won the Battle of Kajmakčalan against Bulgaria and in 1918 Serbian forces helped to break through the Macedonian Front. After World War I the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes was formed.


Thank You very much Brane!

No comments:

Post a Comment