Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Germany: Reichstag building

Today I got three postcards: two from Germany and my first card from the Balearic Islands.

One of the German cards shows the Reichstag building in Berlin. The Reichstag building was constructed between 1884 and 1894 to house the Imperial Diet. Since 1999 it houses the Bundestag, the parliament of Germany. 
I got this postcard for free from the Bundestag and used it to get a special postmark.
You can read more about the Reichstag building and the events associated with it on my history blog.


With a matching stamp:
150th birthday of Philipp Scheidemann (issued 01-07-2015)
with First Day Special Postmark
The stamp shows Philipp Scheidemann proclaiming the republic from one of the balconies of the Reichstag building. He proclaimed the republic after the German Empire lost World War I.


I also got another card of the Reichstag building. It shows the Plenary Hall.


No comments:

Post a Comment