Thursday, June 11, 2015

Germany: Wernigerode

On Tuesday I got two postcards: one from Germany and one from Singapore.

The card from Germany shows various views of Wernigerode. Wernigerode is a town in Saxony-Anhalt on the edge of the Harz. The city is a part of the German Timber-Frame Road.
I sent this card to me when I recently visited Wernigerode.


Stamp:
Felix the Rabbit (from set of two) (issued 02-03-2015)


I bought also two cards of Wernigerode's Town Hall. It was first mentioned in 1277 and was once used as comital court. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful town halls in Europe.



Another card I bought shows the Wernigerode Castle. The Wernigerode Castle in its present state was built in the style of the Historicism in the 19th century. It houses an art museum.


In Wernigerode I visited the Baumkuchen House. It opened in 2008 and houses a café and a small museum.


Wernigerode is also a terminal of the Harz Narrow Gauge Railways and there is a small shop selling train things. There I found a special postcard which was printed for the 125th anniversary of the Harz Narrow Gauge Railways in 2012.


The card has a matching stamp (issued 09-02-2012) and was cancelled on 18th August 2012 in Quedlinburg.


No comments:

Post a Comment